Sunday, September 8, 2013

First Week of Retirement

   We have been having unbearably hot and dry weather for September.  Yards and cornfields are dry as a bone with temps in the 90s and tropical humidity.  When we put up with 25 below zero temps (F) in the winter, it does not seem fair that we have to roast in the summer, too!

   Anyway, I haven't had any trouble keeping busy my first week of being retired.  First of all, it was my daughter's birthday.  Her 4-year old twins surprised her with an apple pie and keepsake boxes they painted themselves.  What treasures!
Happy birthday, Mama!

  



With a new baby on the way, their townhome was bursting at the seams.  So just in time, they bought a big new house and we helped them move on some of the hottest days of the summer.

First, one last breakfast in the old house ...

...then on to a big bedroom in the new house!  The new "big boy" beds hadn't arrived yet.

Meanwhile, back at my house, it's potato harvesting time.  I dug over 20 lbs. from my small patch.  They will last me most of the winter.
 
 
Last night, after a sweltering day, the sunset was glorious.  Today the temperatures are more reasonable but tomorrow the high will be 97.  I am so ready for fall weather!
 
Thanks for reading my blog.  Please leave a comment if you have time.
 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your potato harvest, and surviving your first official week of retirement. By the sounds of things, you'll be kept busy. Not as hot here today, but I'm betting what you have today, will drift this way tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous and big room. The kids will love it. How terrific to find a new, bigger house.

    It really is amazing how your days fill up when you are retired. Looks like your daughter is going to be really happy that you've retired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, How nice to "meet" you! I'm a retired teacher, too - though I've been retired for a long time so I can tell you - you'll love the freedom! I also have twin grandchildren - now 10 1/2 and I had twins myself - two boys who are now 45. (My grandchildren twins were born to one of my twins.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I had to laugh.......you will very soon wonder how you ever had time to work. Somehow the days get more and more busy and you find so much going on in life it takes on a whole new direction. The first weeks sort of feel like vacation, then theres a short period of what on earth will I do, then it begins, you get
    asked to do this or that and go here and there and your start on the house and garden and then the grandkids and someone needs something and pretty soon work starts to look good. (no not really) Enjoy
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on week one of retirement! Such lovely things you did ... helping your daughter and family get moved; harvesting your fall crop...and it is so much more fun to do those things without having to cram them into a busy weekend....may all your weeks of retirement be filled with joy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As all your commenters have said. Retirement becomes very busy but a lot less stress. I can see you will be busy with a new grandbaby on the way.

    ReplyDelete