Monday, May 19, 2014

Mystery at the Museum


  According to the sign, this room on exhibit in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts was discovered intact during a recent renovation. It was the office of curator Barton Kestle who disappeared mysteriously in 1954, just the way he had left it.

   Mr. Kestle was summoned to Washington because he refused to "sign a loyalty oath" and disappeared without a trace enroute.  He was never found and his office was sealed up and forgotten about in some dark corner of the museum.

   There are so many details in this room, right down to the stains on the carpet, a stopped clock, dust on the desk, coat, hat, and scarf hanging on a coat tree, a painting on an easel awaiting his attention. 

   My daughter and I were intrigued by this mystery, me because I had never heard of it which kind of surprised me. 

   Alas, WE HAD BEEN "HAD"!  
 
   Apparently we are in good company. According to the Star Tribune, when the exhibit opened, museum employees believed the ruse and one person called the newspaper demanding an investigation.
 
   Ha ha ha.  A museum with a sense of humor!

 
Thanks for reading my blog.  It would brighten this gloomy, rainy day if you left a comment!

16 comments:

  1. Ohhh you had me as well, I thought I must Google this when I've finished reading your blog lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat post ~ fun, fun,fun, ~intriquing photo for OWT ~ xoxo

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating to have so many period details so right in that room - and what a sense of humor to set it up with such a story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny. when I was reading it I thought what a coincidence that we were both posting about rooms that had been hidden and preserved for decades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! And our thumbnails both prominently featured an old telephone!

      Delete
  5. So interesting and great story. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. April Fool ... but it's not April! :) Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed..a museum curators office would never be hidden away..or uninhabited...too much info in that room:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the first time I have heard of a museum with that precious commodity . . . humour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Splendid! Now I can't help wondering if Barton Kestle is an anagram.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was surprised to hear about the museum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats like a year long April Fools joke - I like it!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intruiging story with a funny end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had me going there too. I was thinking, how eerie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. fascinating - so who's office was it?
    Have a great week and thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was created by an artist from garage sales and is part of the museum's interiors exhibit. The rest of the rooms, however, have only real stories behind them.

      Delete