Monday, February 22, 2016

Harper Lee and Atticus Finch

Having taught American (as well as British) lit for many years, I learned of the death of Harper Lee this weekend with memories both sad and sweet.

Most American students read To Kill a Mockingbird in the 9th grade. Over the years I guided hundreds of them through it.

I love this book.






My copy has many loose pages held together by a rubberband. It has years of underlining, highlighting, and notes.

 

With her southern gentility and beautiful prose, Ms Lee seductively and oh-so-gently draws the reader into a horrifying tale of unfairness, of prejudice, racism, classism, gossip, brutality, suspicion of those who are "different," parental abuse, alleged rape, and murder. The story's profound lessons are delivered by the wise lawyer, "nigger lover" and single father Atticus Finch. Through the tale, the reader is confronted with the maddening stew that is the complexity of human nature and the problems that afflict society. Ultimately, and at great personal sacrifice, even Atticus is helpless in the face of such deeply-rooted custom and prejudice.



Atticus faces an angry mob of white men with his children by his side outside the jail on the night before he is to defend a black man in a rape trial. (from the movie To Kill a Mockingbird)

For many, if not most, students Mockingbird is an introduction to life in the American South post slavery, with all the complexities of good people and prejudice that comes from generations of living in Maycomb, Mississippi. With the children of Atticus, Jem and Scout, readers lose their innocence.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

The book is served up to students at a time when teenage brains are maturing, as they begin to examine issues and form values apart from their parents' and based on their own knowledge and experience. It's a about the loss of innocence read by students who are in the midst of losing their own.

"Its not fair"

"It's not right"

they protest. With the children of Atticus, students grapple with tough lessons gently taught:

The knowledge that good people, people who are willing to make great personal sacrifice, can't always fix society's evils.

The knowledge that the all-powerful parents who rid the closet and beneath the bed of monsters can't fix everything.

The knowledge that,

"You can never really understand a person

until you consider things from his point of view. ... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

 

21 comments:

  1. Cynthia Imlike this author. And the sentence from his book is very wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Cynthia.
    A classic book and a classic movie. The book here was, maybe still is (?), just after I completed my high school days, on the list of books to be studied by the English senior honours class students.
    I have the DVD and watch it now and then.
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the movie, too. Oooh, Gregory Peck!

      Delete
    2. Cynthia!!! ????????????
      Gregory Peck - schoolgirl crush????
      They had sometime last year a documentary on him here (Australia)
      and on the ABC so advertisement free - his films, life etc etc.
      It was absolutely marvellous, bordering on mind blowing.
      I reckon it should have been used by schools for teaching
      purposes. Snippets from his famous roles, charity work etc etc.
      You probably can get it on DVD?????
      Colin

      Delete
  3. That's exactly what my book looked like. And like you, I loved teaching it, although I believe that in some ways it's wasted on the young. I know that I drew more out of it when I read it as an adult.
    And by the way, teaching this book in an urban classroom was a whole 'nother experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a whole ''nother experience! Great discussions though. No days when nobody wants to talk.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes lessons learning school to not reach fruition 'til years later. It is important to expose students to real life issuesand dilemmas. No lesson on fairness and compassion are wasted on the young, and this novel offers lots of food for thought. My students always enjoyed reading it and watching the ovie afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put something on Facebook the day Lee's death was announced and was surprised at how many former students "liked" my post and commented on how the book had affected them. I thInk you are so right -- no lesson on fairness and compassion is ever wasted.

      Delete
  5. I liked the book because I was raised in the Deep South and the little details spoke to me, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You obviously made good mileage with To Kill a Mocking bird. We use theses stories so many times they become part of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In ways I find southerners less prejudiced than people in other parts of the country. It hasn't always that way, we lived here in the late 60's and it was pretty bad, but better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In ways I find southerners less prejudiced than people in other parts of the country. It hasn't always that way, we lived here in the late 60's and it was pretty bad, but better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a newish copy of the book around our house because I bought one for GN. Mine was a well-worn paperback. I didn't let her watch the movie until she read the book. RIP Harper Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my very favorite books, and I loved the movie too. Of course I LOVE Gregory Peck!! I think I would have enjoyed being a student in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our school wasn't forward enough to let us read anything like that. I still have not read it but perhaps I should:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard of the book and film but it's one I would like to watch in the future, the movie that is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post, I only have seen the movie long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit that I didn't finish the book. I picked it up as a young adult but just didn't want to keep reading - I can't quite remember why, so perhaps I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Growing up in Hawaii, it wasn't really until college that I began to see what life was like in the south on "the mainland." To Kill a Mockingbird captures the tragedy of the times and the hope as well.

    ReplyDelete