Sunday, July 17, 2016

Peace, Love, and a Microbus *

When this old VW bus appeared in Beaufort in front of a newly-opened restaurant called "Peace, Love, and Hotdogs," we had to stop for a closer look.

It's even the same color as the one The Writer and I had in the early '70s!

Groovy, man!

 

We thought it was just parked there to draw attention to the restaurant and were surprised to look inside and see that it was full of tools and construction supplies and still very much in use.

It's got to be 40-some years old and still on the road.

Somebody has taken good care of it.

Far out!

 

 

 

 

We traveled many miles in ours, sitting high up, looking out over that steering wheel and through the big front window at this country of ours, searching for the right place to be our home. At night we pulled striped curtains 'round the windows and slept on a mattress on the floor.

When we found the land we wanted in the Blue Ridge Mountains we sold the bus to help pay for it.

Our 30 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina with the Smokies beyond

*This post is for Sarah, who wanted to know about the VW bus. xoxo

 

16 comments:

  1. I would like to own one now; it would make travelling very comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! How excited you two must have been to have those 30 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Bet you worked hard too. I still think you should write a book, and if you do, I'm going right out to buy my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have been looking at them and can't decide if it would be more trouble than its worth. Still we can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is the same bus you owned LOL. What a sturdy and long lived van.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were the days! (I remember them well.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were a hippie?? Fond memories. Do you still have the land you bought then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!! Thanks for sharing, Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It never fails...I see a 'çombi' and I just have to smile. It was lovely reading about your memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet memories, so nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I always looked longingly at those that could afford them:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great memories that VW has evoked. Hope the move is progressing without too much stress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Blue Ridge Mountains and the Smokey Mountains are among the most beautiful places in the world :)

    ReplyDelete