So far the mandatory evacuation is still on for us as we are considered "coastal" Carolina. But here's the (possible) good news.
The hourly update shows the center of the storm moving just a teeny bit eastward which would put the center of the Cone of Uncertainty (I'm learning a whole new vocabulary this week) off the coast. We would still get Category 2 winds (96-110 mph) but it's a whole lot better than the Category 4 winds (130-156 mph) that hit poor Haiti.
We plan to make the decision whether or not to evacuate tonight and not actually leave until Friday morning. My mom is on the east coast of Florida and she will join several friends at a hotel a ways inland. Think Hurricane Party for the over 80 set!
The third store was the charm this morning and we were able to purchase fresh gallons of drinking water, lots of batteries, snacks, and a cat carrier for Rosie. Store shelves are already bare of drinking water, batteries, and salty snacks and we had to take the only pet carrier left. The box says DOG carrier and has a photo of a cute little dog so Rose might refuse to enter it, but we shall see. We got Coleman stove gas for our small camping stove as there will likely be no electricity and filled the gas tank of the car.
But what will we do for entertainment with no electricity, no wifi, you ask?