Friday, April 27, 2018

UFO in the Harbor


Unidentifid  FLOATING object, that is.
On our way home from the gym this morning we noticed something reflecting the sun, shiny aluminum and out of ordinary, in the harbor.  It turned out to be the largest and newest research vessel belonging to Coastal Carolina University.  Behind it are two smaller research vessels belonging to Coastal Carolina that remain docked in Georgetown all the time.  

The 54-foot aluminum research vessel is "equipped with state-of-the-art sea floor mapping/geophysical survey systems, six research workstations, a hydraulic A-frame (3-ton lift capacity) and dive platform."  It can hold 22 passengers and has a cruising range of 500 miles.
It was purchased for use by graduate and doctoral students in CCU's marine science program for research in monitoring hurricane prediction systems offshore and for study of environmental factors that affect the ocean.  A sonar is mounted on the front that can rotate down below the catamaran hull and align with GPS receivers and motion sensors to make a geophysical map of the sea.  Students have assisted the US Geological Survey in mapping the ocean floor out to a distance of over five miles from the coast of South Carolina.  

A winch over the rear of the boat has an 8,000-pound lift capacity for deploying heavy research equipment.  It is used to deploy the new sensor buoys used in CCU’s new hurricane model to forecast severe weather conditions.

So many opportunities for college students today.  When I contemplated my education after high school, I knew of  three courses of study to choose from: nurse, teacher, or secretary.  I enjoyed teaching, but with all the career choices available to young people today, I like to muse upon which one I might have chosen had it been possible 50 years ago.  

Any idea what you might have chosen

17 comments:

  1. Looks amazing - very smart and futuristic - almost like something from a James Bond movie. You're right - so many more opportunities these days - even the playgrounds are better! But I think I'd have just made different career choices - maybe continued at university or with teaching - and probably tried writing earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Research? Science? Better not let Donald Trump hear those words otherwise he will want to have the whole programme cancelled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one David. You hit the nail spot on the head. Now go and give Turnip Top a whack also.
      However you may need medical treatment, I reckon his head is all THICK BRICK.
      Colin

      Delete
  3. We also had a very limited number of courses to choose from. We had few options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose nursing back then, but now I would take environmental studies. Combine that with the energy and passion of youth and use it to make a difference, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know I would have chosen must different. I love HR and working with people. It is really hard for kids these days, there is a huge choice but finding a passion and a dream, a career where you make a difference in someway to the world are important. I can imagine that boat would capture students attention well to study Marine science.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive boat. I too went into teaching with no regrets but maybe social work would have been an option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the same opportunities here for girls in the sixties. I went for an education as receptionist! Got a type diploma and typed 7 years long my days away at a magazine publishing company in Amsterdam. Stopped when I got children and move to a small new town. After some years I heard you could get a job in the Public Library at the desk to get the books in and out again. After a few years I got the opportunitie to follow an education as an librarian. I did while working and rule a houshold. I got my diploma when I was in my fourties and wished I had known that education when I was 18! Nobody told you that in those times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first major was Pre Vet medicine...got married had kids...then Horticulture and Forestry. A good choice but in retrospect I should have been a Highway Patrolman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1-teaching 2 Journalism 3 Social Work. 4. Librarian 2nd career full time fly fishing and hunting guide in southwest Montana...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds impressive.
    It looks good no wonder if shines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes its an interesting way to think. I think I would have liked to do some kind of research.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unusual vessel with its aluminium outer skin. Have wondered whether I would have had a different career. My uncle advised me to go into computers when I left school. I actually had no idea what he was talking about! What a pity I didn't make further enquiries, I might have made a fortune going into computers back then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little detail you have provide about the vessel..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Cynthia, like you, I have found myself in the last few decades being astounded by all the opportunities for jobs that the world now offers young people. You mention 3 you had--nurse, teacher, and secretary. All I'd add to that is . . . nun! I so hope that our educational system and our congressional federal and state leaders will do all they can to bring these opportunities to those who have little chance of going on in school. We need to support our young population so that they find meaningful work that helps them become the human beings they are called to be. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I would still choose teaching. It was such a rewarding career. However, I think I'd have loved being a nurse or social worker also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was lucky that I wanted to be a writer and it was possible for me to do this as a job. Other than this, I am not sure. Maybe work in publishing? :) By the way I tried to subscribe to "post comments" link below but it just goes to a page of html. I have one on my blog in the right hand column, I hope that isn't doing the same... just off to check now! :)

    ReplyDelete