Sunday, April 22, 2018

Kinetic Art

"Octo 2"


This is the Greenville sculpture I promised to show you, an 18-foot stainless steel kinetic piece powered by the wind.  It's taken me a week to  get it up here because it was a challenge to figure out how to put a video of my own up on my blog.
If you think you might have seen a similar one somewhere, it could be the one behind the Olympic cauldron in Rio de Janeiro last year.  That was done by the same sculptor, Anthony Howe.  
His work is mesmerizing.  I could sit forever watching Octo 2's graceful flow from pattern to pattern, like a giant stainless steel kaleidoscope on a stick.  

πŸ¦€ πŸ¦‚ πŸ¦€ πŸ¦‚ πŸ¦€ 
Meanwhile, back home in Georgetown it's "that time of year again" when restaurants on the coast are apparently taking employment applications from crustaceans  ...



13 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with you putting a video up on your blog. I have never been able to master that. Also its a lovely sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sculpture is important to a city as are all other forms
    of art and culture. Great cities know this. That is why world class cities have art galleries, operatic companies, symphony orchestras, museums, etc. and, yes, sculpture in the street is a part of all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty clever.
    For Greenville this is quite something, but I would never in my wildest dreams classify Greenville-Spartanburg as a potential World Class city.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen anything like that - how cool it is, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for persevering with the video, it's well worth seeing, "mesmerising" as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! That would be worth a drive down to Greenville. Wonder if I could talk Poppy into a 4 1/2 drive? That sign in Georgetown is funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow !! That is a beauty, I could watch it part of a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing sculpture, I could watch it too for ages, so magical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a wonderful sculpture, mesmerising!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Cynthia, I laughed out loud at your joke with regard to the restaurant sign. Reading it I just had to chuckle. Thank you for bringing laughter into my life today!

    And thank you, also, for the video of the kinetic sculpture. I've never heard of that art form and so was awed by this. Such creativity. Such beauty. Mesmerizing. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful sculpture and funny sign.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful sculpture - it is very relaxing to watch isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is an amazing, unique, beautiful sculpture. How do artists come up with these ideas?

    ReplyDelete