Friday, July 1, 2022

Inspired by Frida Kahlo



  A national tour of art inspired by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo that began to tour the country in 2019 is at its final stop in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. That’s about an hour north of us and we were fortunate to get to go see it this week. 

  Ninety-five entries, selected from artists all over the world, inspired by her life and her art, interpreted The World of Frida Kahlo in paintings, prints, photography, collage, sculpture, textiles, and mixed media.

  
 


  It was a colorful and exuberant extravaganza of a tribute and it was fascinating to see the ways Kahlo has inspired creativity in her admirers. We enjoyed it so much!


An iconic Frida, clothed in monarch 
butterflies




Silk and metallic crewel embroidery

“Diego’s Chica”








Brussels, Belgium artist, “Trying to be Frieda”. 
Photograph








Clay sculpture












Appliqué and embroidery, Hamburg, Germany.
 “Larger Than Life” 

  Kahlo was severely crippled as a young woman when she broke her back in a bus accident, and later lost her foot from health complications. Her life was filled with severe pain and she lived and painted mostly in a wheelchair and flat on her back in bed. 

 I love the way this artist imagined her as beautiful and free from those painful limitations.  

















 “Frida With Birds” 


     Embroidery!



A medium of expression for everyone! 


Paper collage


Collage detail




  Do-It-Yourself project in the 
museum gift shop

 (Anyone else paint these when you were a kid? I loved them, and actually learned quite a bit about painting with oils doing them.)







  I hope you enjoyed seeing a few pieces from this exhibit. I want to tell you if it ever comes your way, do go, but as I said, this is its last stop and the pieces will be going back to their artists when they leave here.

  I haven’t been posting on my blog for a while for a couple reasons. One was that my last few posts had so few comments I decided I wasn’t writing about anything anyone cared about and it didn’t seem worth the effort. Well, this week I was poking around and discovered that for some unknown reason a lot of comments were in the SPAM folder and never published! I don’t understand why.

  Has that happened to anyone else? Anyway, I moved them and  I will be feeling more inspired to write now!  

🌈.  🌈.  🌈


13 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! That's what happened to me with comments going to the Spam folder. Thank you for the reminder. I should check it now. That is such an interesting exhibit. What a very difficult life Frida had. I thought Salma Hayek did a great job in the movie, Frida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting artwork. I'll have to check it out if it comes anywhere nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes some comments go to the spam folder, not sure what is up with that. That was a very
    interesting art exhibit! Thank you for sharing it:) Hope you keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing your photos of this exhibition. The embroidery was exceptional. I have been interested in Kahlo since I visited Mexico City a few years ago. Seems lots of us have had problems with comments. Mine are appearing as anonymous on some blogs and on others I can't comment at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The exhibition has been here too last year but than we got lockdowns and couldn't go anywhere, so I missed it sadly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very pleased that you didn't give up on us, Cynthia. I always enjoy your posts, and other readers no less - of that I am sure. I would have enjoyed this exhibition. Like many I suspect I know of Frida Kahlo more by reputation and legend than by an actual examination of her art, so this would have been a wonderful opportunity. Welcome back. Don't even dare to think of leaving again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great exhibit. All interesting renditions of the portrait. And yes, to the comments into Spam! Even regular commenters end up there. I tried moderating comments but that doesn't work. I opened it up more and still comments end up there. I get an email that tells me of a comment so check the spam folder to be sure it doesn't languish there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still struggling to be various blog to recognize me and allow a comment. Anyway, I love the mixed media of all the displays. Elaine http://mynext20yearsofliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Cynthia, so glad you went to that spam folder. I always come to your blog with great anticipation because I learn so much from each of your postings--about history and geography and flora and fauna and now . . . Freida-inspired art. This posting just tickled my fancy. What a woman she was and her legacy clearly continues.

    I hope to get back into visiting blogs every two weeks and to posting also. For me, it's been health concerns this year that have kept me away from the computer. But yesterday I began to work on another cat book and I hope to continue doing so. There's just one test left for the doctors to do--in mid-Judy--and then I think truly that I'll have a clean bill of health. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, I still can't figure out how to leave comments or respond on my blog. When I wrote my comment today, it came up as from "anonymous." So I'm doing another comment and will include my name: Dee Ready.

      Delete
    2. Dear Dee, Even though you came up as “anonymous, I’d “know” you anywhere from your writing! It seems Blogger comments are a mess for everyone, judging by the comments here and on other blogs. It’s beyond we bloggers to figure anything out and I just hope Blogger gets things straightened out soon. It’s not like we have an alternative forum!

      Delete
  10. It looks a fascinating exhibit. Yes my comments often end up in the junk mail but they are still visible in the comments for moderation section of design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found this blog and I'm so glad I did. It gave me such a lift! Thanks for sharing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete