Thursday, August 25, 2022

Minnesota, At Last

  After 2 1/2 years (thanks, Covid!) I finally got to go home to Minnesota and spend some time with my family. We crammed as much as we could into a few days. 



“Hi, Nana!”

   I know it’s cliche but …

        My goodness, how they’ve grown!

            (8, 13 and 13, 14)


  Fall sports were just starting up and Mason had football practice. First year for wearing protective equipment, but it’s still touch football, not tackle. Whew, glad of that!


Minnesota Twins played the Texas Rangers.
Grown-ups only. It felt very strange to leave the boys home without a sitter. 



  Our seats were right behind home plate and the ball was coming at us at up to 103 mph! How does a batter ever hit that?!!

  Nail biter until the very end and the TWINS WON! 


  I did not recognize one player left from my days of being a Twins fan. 









  We’re a family who loves puzzles. 

  This Star Wars challenger has 2000 pieces! 












  Mason’s really good at puzzles but doesn’t have the attention span of the big boys. 


  Never at a loss for things to do however!


  (Or maybe he thought this was a better vantage point for finding that certain piece?)

























Chillin’ with the grand dogs, Annabelle (right), a Texas kill shelter rescue, and Nettie (left), a retired show dog. They are both so sweet, and the best cuddlers. 


Lots of ball games — basketball, whiffle ball, football — to use up that boy energy.







  The big Minneapolis farmers market with real farm-to-table prices and So Much Stuff! How do you even choose?

  Sarah still has her Mexican taste buds and bought a bowl of each of these kind of peppers. 

   She snacks on them like carrot sticks!








“Surprise” birthday party for Anna


My beloved daughters, Anna and Sarah 


  And the final evening, a bonfire with marshmallows, singing, and dancing around the fire. Until the mosquitoes chased us inside. Not a Minnesota summer evening without some of those!



So hard to watch them drive away at the airport! 

So thankful to have this time together!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  I want to say a few words about my last post, the one about the neighborhood man who feeds the feral cats. First, I am aware that cats kill birds and other small animals and that pet cats should be kept indoors. The cats I have owned have all been indoor cats for that reason, and if I get another cat, she will be an indoor cat, too. 
  There is a cat problem in the small Southern town I live in. Traditionally, cats here are outdoor pets. Although there are no-cost spay clinics and individuals who attempt to trap the many cats that live around the fishing and boat docks, it’s a drop in the bucket. There are so many stray cats that the local animal shelter provides outdoor shelters, food, and neutering for hundreds that come and go near their facility. 
  And finally, the man who feeds these cats in my neighborhood is old, poor, in terrible health, and alone. Feeding these 15 or so cats brings him some happiness and a feeling that he is doing a kindness to God’s creatures. Who am I to judge? He has lived here all his life; I have lived here six years. 

11 comments:

  1. You got to visit your family back in MN, how wonderful! Do you ever regret moving so far from them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to visit! Your Grands are growing like weeds! Beautiful daughters too! I bet you were sad to go back south.
    I hope the fellow that feeds the cats manages with the costs of everything going up. Bless his heart for being so kind:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful you went home for a visit. Lovely photo of you :) Happy photos and a delight to see - thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful family time. They seem to not be attached to their cell phones or electronics! God bless the old man feeding the cats. Sounds like those are his only friends, and I hope he isn't neglecting his own food in order to feed the cats. A quiet sweet story in spite of the bigger picture. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 and a half years is just too long to wait for those cuddles and hugs from the family. Glad you finally were able to make the trip and hope it's not so long before you all meet up again. Your comment about being without a credit card is an all too familiar one now that so many shops/companies don't want a payment in cash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must have been exceptionally satisfying to go back home to Minnesota after so long an absence, and yes, grandchildren do grow up! I visited Minneapolis many years ago on business and that unfortunately is my entire experience of that state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My God - how they have grown.
    Great for you to visit - I VERY much remember the "delightful" mosquitoes of Rochester!

    Sad about the old bloke and the cats - indoors is the rule here in Australia and de-sexed !
    However we have one large "TOM" who visits my village at night. He has a collar on so must be
    owned. He just struts around as if on an inspection tour!!
    Cheers
    Colin
    PS: Weather here - Sydney and my area just 100 klms north is only a few points to surpass the
    total in a year since records started - yep! I'm sick of the damn rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you went home for a visit. It must have been so exciting and fun for you all. I can not believe how much Mason has grown. Your daughters are beautiful, Cynthia. They must have been so happy to see you. Good grief, what a puzzle.

    No explanation needed here about your last post. I've never know anyone who cared more about the environment, wildlife, and nature than you. I'm happy the old man has the cats to feed. That is probably all he has to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been a wonderful visit. I know how it is. Like you I was surprised how tall they were and that they are able to be left home for short periods of time. And how hard it is to say goodbye. I hope you can see them again soon. Your daughters are lovely. You are pretty gorgeous too and don’t look old enough to be a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful time to spent with your family at last! Our lives had suddenly changed so much unexpected the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh! I'm so glad you got to have this happy time with your wonderful family. And I agree with diane b. You look awesome!

    ReplyDelete