Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fathers



k
My dad grew up on a dairy farm, graduated from high school, and enlisted with his cousin and best friend before he could be drafted into World War II.  

He returned from the war with a dream of becoming a journalist, a newspaper reporter, a writer. 

Instead he got a job, a wife, and my sister and me!

Actually, he got two jobs, a day job working in an office and a night job working at his brother-in-law's gas station.  On weekends, with the help of his dad, he built us a house.  

He also helped build a house for my aunt and uncle and then my grandparents.  He never made time to go to college himself and get his dream job in journalism but he put two daughters through college so we could follow our dreams.  
 
My dad had a passion for travel and a desire for his family to see the world.  Every summer we packed up the tent and Dad drove us all over the United States and Canada for the two or three weeks of vacation he got from work.  He also took us to Europe, toting our "bible", Europe on $10 a Day.  


Dad was here to walk both his daughters down the aisle, spoil his grandchildren and watch them grow up.  They believed there was no broken anything that Papa couldn't fix!  He lived to hold his first great grand children, twin boys.

He has been gone several years now and I don't think a single day goes by that I don't want to tell or ask him something.  

Here is another dad in my life I want to honor today, my daughter's husband who just happens to have 
the same name as my dad!


 

















Dad Extraordinaire to this lively bunch, my grandboys.

 

 
The Writer, children, and grandsons. 

Happy Father's Day!
 

13 comments:

  1. Happy Father's Day to all your men, your Dad sounds like a special man, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute to your dad. Mine has been gone 10 years come December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very interesting family history.
    Your father was what we here would term - " A BLOODY GOOD BLOKE".
    Seems that Ana has got another BLOODY GOOD BLOKE in her Don.

    Trust Paul and his trip to Hilton Head for a golf day is successful
    and that you cool down from the heat at home. I wish I could send you
    a bit of our Terrigal much cooler weather.......minus the rain, unless
    your gardens need a good soaking???

    Father's day is first Sunday in September in Australia.
    Cheers and beers to your Dad, Don and Paul......I't even have a schooner
    for you - ha ha.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'LL even have a schooner for you - ha ha.
      Sorry thinking of my schooner and not concentrating on my spelling!
      Colin

      Delete
  4. Lovely what you wrote about your late dad :)
    Father's Day up there - oh my, didn't realize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice post with all the old pictures. You had a father who made the best of everything, family, work and travelling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful tribute, I am blessed my Father is still around so a little bit gutted that I wasn't able to spend some time with him yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Father's Day to The Writer! What a lovely photo of your Dad and you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why...tears are rolling down my cheeks. Happy father's day..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very heartwarming indeed. Warm greetings to you and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Cynthia, this is a beautiful tribute to your father. He found his fulfillment not in journalism and writing or college but in raising a fine family and providing for all. So many wonderful and inspiring people in our world. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fond memories of Dad there plus a lively looking crew...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading this post a bit after the day, but wanted to comment on how lovely a tribute to your dad. Thanks for sharing. And, also it was nice to see your family as well, Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete