Friday, February 23, 2018

Purple Shoes

Sometimes ya just gotta shake things up.

I've never had purple shoes before.  Let's just say I'm practicing!
 

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple. 

16 comments:

  1. Jenny Joseph rules!
    Love the purple sneakers. I love the wildly colored shoes I see going by me, but when I get to the store I always chicken out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I love this! I love you purple shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, I say. Old age needs a little jazzing up now and then, so might as well start working on it now. And the shoes look pretty good anyway. You are right in style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me smile. I love the purple shoes, they look comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read that poem before but I think it's describing me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! A fun post. Purple, your shoes look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been fond of the color purple and that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you like to borrow my purple T shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like the color purple..but your shoes look nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look very comfy and I like purple!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my weaknesses.... hoarding pens and pencils :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't eat so many sausages and I'm not going to spit, but I do LOVE purple and I'd love to get some purple shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the poem, love your shoes and I love wearing purple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Cynthia, I so like your purple shoes! What brand are they???? My favorite colors are red and purple--both are colors of abundance in China. Thanks for sharing the words by Jenny Joseph. I'm to the age where I sort of just do what feels good for me on any given day. It's so freeing! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cynthia, thanks for the name of the shoes. I'll check and see where they are available in the Kansas City/Independence area! Peace.

      Delete