Monday, September 2, 2013

Little Free Library -- My World Today

   Everyone's seen them, I'm sure, those cute little boxes on a post where you can take a book and leave a book that you have finished in return for someone else to enjoy. 

Supposedly a man whose mother, a lifelong teacher and book lover in Wisconsin, had recently died.  The man had the idea to honor her memory with a little red school house version in his yard, and the idea spread from there.  This one is in Minneapolis in a beautiful old neighborhood where I was looking at historic homes.



This one was in a neighborhood where I probably should not have been walking alone.  I love that someone used what they had, including the prop raising a front leg.  Not all the books were in English in this one.
These both happen to be in a city, but I have come across them in hiking in parks along the Mississippi River, in small towns, and by farmhouse mailboxes.  There are now 5-6,000 boxes worldwide and in every state in America.  These two are pretty plain, but some of them are real works of art.
 
I have taken to carrying a couple books I'm done with in the car to have something to leave, because quite often I find a book I want to read. I think I might start a collection of photos of Little Free Libraries, or Noox, or Pop-Up Libraries, as they are also called. 
There are lots of great stories and photos on Our World Tuesday.  http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/
 
 
Thank you for reading my blog.  I would love to read your comment about Little Free Libraries.
 

24 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I was reading about one in the Uk where they had used an old red phone box for the same purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first heard of these mini libraries on a blog called This Old House. Since then I've seen one in Rhinelander Wisconsin. I'm going there tomorrow, and will have to get a photo of it. My son lives in Elk River MN. Thanking your for following my blog. Have a great time with all your new endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about a fabulous idea! Every school should have one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea ~ haven't seen any of these yet ~ Sweet photos ~ carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat idea! I've never seen one, but I have lots of books I could trade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen anything like this, but what a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fabulous idea. I've never seen one myself, but I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea. I have never seen or heard of these but will now keep an eye out for them as I travel the states. It would be a great idea to photograph them. I bet it would make an interesting collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A super idea which I've heard of from time to time but never actually seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen them -even on park benches with little notes ....a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have NEVER seen one. But I am going to look into where I can find them now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have NEVER seen one. But I am going to look into where I can find them now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found out there is one 20 minutes from me! There is a map of where they are located here: http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/ I LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice idea! I have donated many books but still have tons! I love my books but still could share some. My grands love to read when they come over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Books and historic homes. What a lovely world. Wish I could be transported into one some time.

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw a free library like this is a village in Cornwall, UK it was in an old red telephone box and we thought what a great idea. Good on you for having the idea to set one up in your local area - do blog how it goes!

    Wrenx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a very good idea! I sometimes put some books on a table in the hall of the home for elderly people here in my village.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had not heard of this wonderful idea! And now I so wish I would see one. Thank you for telling us about it. I would definitely donate a book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! it's really a great social work and a new information for myself. the books boxes looking beautiful..
    thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Great find and click! Indeed, a great idea..

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. An idea can bring a big change to anything. Make book shelves and fill that up with books and let people use those. Thanks for this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cool I have not seen any up here in the northland:)

    ReplyDelete