Monday, January 13, 2014

Winter Walk on the Prairie



“If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
 
  Anne Bradstreet, English-American poet.
Anne Bradstreet is called the "first American poet," and I love her poetry.  It is from the heart and mostly about her daily life, which included losing children to diseases in the New World, house fires, and a deep love for her home and the things that reminded her of her life in England.
 


 
Winter prairie sunset


Robins normally leave Minnesota in the fall. While it's not unusual to see a few stragglers up until Christmas, I am still seeing large flocks this year. This flock covered many trees, and I estimate that there were at least 100, probably more. I wonder what they are finding to eat and how they are surviving the extremely cold temperatures we have had. I am happy to see them, though, because they do remind me that hope of a glorious spring isn't so awfully far away.



Joining Our World Tuesday at http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

Thank you for reading my blog.  I enjoy reading your comments and will visit your blog in return.

17 comments:

  1. Love that chilly sun, Cynthia. Hope the robins are keeping warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful wintry photos. Not familiar with the poet you mentioned but I like the quote you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is late for Robins. I wonder if they will stay all winter... Those warm days are greatly appreciated after such a long cold snap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cold sun is so dramatic and beautiful! The beautiful poem makes me feel a tiny bit guilty down here in the semi-tropics. (But I am old enough to have experienced literal winter, and of course, the metaphorical as well. As who has not?)

    I love the "robin tree" and I wonder -- maybe they knew it was so cold everywhere there wasn't any use migrating. ? We never see them here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, especially number two! I would surely love to be there and watch such a wonderful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brave little birds still singing their songs in the dead of winter and lifting our spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They must be special Robins...possibly a little SLOW. But they are Robins and for me that is a sign of spring! Yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems so far away in summertime Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often wonder where the birds go when there are storms or in your case blizzards. The sun looks pretty but not strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a dramatic sky! Love the Anne Bradstreet verse... so true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures ! We still have no winter, maybe it arrives in spring !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely wintry photos ~ beautiful ~ and love the quote ~ so true ~ carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely love your second image - something about the starkness, that sun, and the minimal colour - beautiful.
    Have a great week and thanks for stopping by - I am glad you enjoyed my post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely skies. I actually like winter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful photos. interesting that the robins stayed around. i love it when a flock gets in our trees. they chat and chat and chat. it is loud but a good loud.

    ReplyDelete