Strawberry Chapel is the only building remaining on the site of one of the oldest successful settlements in South Carolina, Childsbury.
In front of the church is a large vault that is a receiving tomb where bodies were prepared and awaited burial.
Because of the hot and humid climate of South Carolina, a cool place was needed to store the deceased, allowing time for the grave to be dug and families to travel for the
For coolness, the vault was built partially underground, with a vaulted brick ceiling and a dirt floor. A door was located on the left end and there were several steps down into a chamber with shelves on the walls.
Strawberry Chapel was built in 1725 by plantation owners as a “chapel of ease”, a mission church where plantation families unable to travel as far as the established church could meet on Sundays.
Strawberry Chapel was an Anglican Church and its first minister was a French Huguenot. The church property is family owned and services are still held here twice a year.
As you can see, we are still enjoying some beautiful fall colors and warm days here on the coast. Hard to believe Christmas is only weeks away!