Friday, October 14, 2022

Exploring Another Part of South Carolina

We’ve been camping in the mountains, enjoying the northwestern corner of our state. 

In case you’re unfamiliar with South Carolina, we live on the east coast, in Georgetown, circled in green. It’s about 4 1/2 hours from there to the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, which are part of the Appalachians. The western state border, with Georgia, is a series of lakes and a river from top to bottom. We stayed in three different parks (two state parks and one county park) and had a campsite on the water at each of them.











  We have a small travel trailer with a bed inside, a galley under the hatch at the back for cooking, and a screen room with drop sides for privacy and rain (and bugs).  



























Our first campsite was on Lake Hartwell. The red clay in the lake made such a beautiful contrast with the sky and trees. (Not too nice to walk in the water, though. Your feet come out orange!).  
This was our view. 



Every day of the trip the sunsets and sunrises were spectacular!








Another site was on Lake Keowee.









Morning tea, sunrise on Lake Keowee, catching up on my journal. 



  I’m going to quit here with our last-night campfire on Lake Russell. I have more about our trip but for some reason my whole page has disappeared twice and I don’t want to lose it again! So, see you soon. 
  

9 comments:

  1. Dear Cynthia, oh, to go camping again. For the ten years of the '80s, a friend from college/convent years and I went camping in Minnesota and Wisconsin each September for two or three weeks. We have a twelve-foot-square tent and all the paraphernalia of camping--Coleman stove, lanterns, cooler, etc. Our favorite place to camp was at the Gooseberry Falls State Park right by Lake Superior in norther Minnesota. The wonder of it--the lake crashing on the boulders, the lighthouse a few miles away, and all the creative thinking about voyageurs of the past. I loved it all. And so when you share these photographs, I'm in, as my mom would have said, "Seventh Heaven!!!!" Thank you.

    And by the way, was Georgetown hit by Hurricane Ian or strong winds or rain? I thought of you, but then I always do when news comes from that side of the country. Take care. Peace from Dee and the cats: Ellie, Maggie, and Matthew (cominghometomyself)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us along. Love the geography lesson. Oklahoma has red dirt too: your white socks become pink and stains on everything. That's a nice size camper, not too big, not too small, with your exterior separate living room! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely camper. I enjoyed your trip description and photos.

    I live in Eugene, Oregon, but, like you, have lived in MN, although I spent my first 36-years in Mississippi. My favorite place in SC is Brookgreen Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely setup there and the view amazing...fun camping, enjoy. Thanks for the map and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this wasn't your first trip with the new camper so by now you're pros at set up and take down. Nice to have that screen room along too. Look forward to more photos of the adventure in camping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely trip. Your camp sites had sensational views. I love your compact camper. We are beyond camping any more but I wish I wasn't. Thanks for the map. I visited the smokey Mts but from Tennessee side we did go over the border into North Carolina at one stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice set up! I hope Bob got to go too! Camping on the lakes must have been almost like Minnesota! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went up here with friends from Atlanta, Ga.
    Quite wild young bucks in those years of ago.....1970's!
    The blokes had canoes so much fun was had playing 'sea battles" - resulting in plenty
    of swimming and upturned canoes.
    I don't think we were sober for much of the time !!!
    Thanks for the memories !!
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to get away, and if you can enjoy the tranquility of nature, so much the better. My camping days are behind me, but we had a tent that served us well and enabled us to enjoy some remote back country experiences. My daughter still carries on the tradition.

    ReplyDelete