Sunday, February 24, 2019

Not All Beaches and Camellias Here

Bright and early yesterday, Rosie went into Mouse Pointer Pose in front of the dishwasher. 

 What?

We thought we took care of that last winter by filling every possible opening under there where a mouse could get into house!  Guess not.





Having done her part by pointing out the invader, Rose had a kibble snack and returned to her morning nap.










The Writer got his gloves and proceeded while what should have been simple (reach under dishwasher, grab trap with gloved hand, take outdoors, return to making coffee) turned into a Project.  Capital P.

As his hand approached the trap, the mouse dragged it to the right — and under the floor of the cupboards, out of reach.  

Bummer.  

Poor guy hadn’t even had his first cup of coffee yet.  (The Writer, not the mouse.)

The only thing to do was to carefully take the wood trim strips off at the bottom of the cupboard, then delicately pry the floor board up as far as possible to reach in without disturbing the mouse or the plumbing.  

Fortunately mouse and trap did not continue its sashay to the right because that would have required prying up many more boards!  

Once the mouse was out, a trip to Walmart was in order to get more stuff for further mouse-proof sealing.  By the time everything was said and done, scrubbed with bleach and put back to rights, it was lunchtime! 

Five hours to empty a mousetrap.  

I
Our hero

Oops!

My hero!

15 comments:

  1. I just hope you gave the cat an approriate treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years back we got mouse inside home while we were renovating it. Suddenly I started getting mouse dropping every where.Then I realized we had a mouse inside the house. Luckily we trapped it in a single attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a tad envious of the Camellias but certainly not the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mice can be quite epic. I had some living under the bathroom sink, where they had made a nest in a feather duster I kept there. They had climbed all the way up the pipes. It's not like I hadn't been in the cupboard, but must have missed it. Makes one have a big clean up. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our old house on the farm was never mouse proofed. So next time tie the trap to something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No mice here on 11th floor but we had them often at our house. When we first moved in the cat would be the first to find them and then play with them much to our dismay. But the cat was not too gentle in wapping the mouse against the floor moulding and that was the end of the mouse. I had one peer out at me from the stones in the fireplace. It had eaten the mortar away. I set a trap on the hearth and it was history by morning.
    Good that your cat alerted you to the mouse's presence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had mice getting into my house in the same place under the sink. Drove me nuts. Our yard man who puts stuff down for ants, which we have many in the warmer months that come inside, asked me to come outside and he showed me the openings around wires that go into the house and opening around several vents on the edge. He said for me to spray foam and then carve it off to make it neat on the edge after it dried. I was told that mice will get in those areas and after the mice would be snakes that can mash themselves down and get in also. Well off I went for spray foam and it worked!!
    Not had a mouse for 3 years now. My friend had several snakes get in her house around the tube to the dryer. I guess I am saying it right. After putting that foam around the hole, she never saw another and she did kill the two in the house.
    Cats know their mice don't they? Good to have a cat around for varmints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Herr Mouse was a secret agent - checking those bees!
    Cheers
    Undisclosed follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah Rosie! Some days just do not go as planned:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They always find a way to come in the house, but didn't noticed Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Cynthia, looks like you have two heroes in your home. Maybe three because you must have been the cheering section! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darn rodents. A well earned cup of coffee after that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing! I am now following you - you can follow back if you wish at Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness! That did not sound like a fun five hours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job and no more mouse.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete