Tuesday, December 8, 2020

DECEMBER 8 - What Could Be More Delightful?

  I had something else planned for my blog today, but then this appeared on National Public Radio as we were eating lunch:

“U.K. Begins Nationwide Coronavirus Immunization, Largest In Nation's History

Margaret Keenan, a grandmother of four, made history Tuesday after getting a potentially lifesaving birthday present. 

With one shot — or "jab" as Britons might say — Keenan, who turns 91 next week, officially launched the United Kingdom's nationwide coronavirus immunization campaign — the largest such effort in its history.

"I feel so privileged to be the first person vaccinated against COVID-19," said Keenan, who received the shot at 6:30 a.m. U.K. time. ‘It's the best early birthday present I could wish for because it means I can finally look forward to spending time with my family and friends in the new year after being on my own for most of the year.’ “



  Even though the overnight news here was that the vaccine may be delayed and in short supply in this country until June or July,  I am overjoyed and filled with hope to see a mother and grandmother somewhere who is on her way to seeing her family, friends, and living a normal life again.  

  Nothing could delight me more today than this! 


11 comments:

  1. Yes. It was an historic day for our NHS service. I also approve of the order in which we will be vaccinated, starting with the oldest first, then those who work in care homes followed by those workers on the frontline. The rest of us will follow according to health problems/age. The vaccination cannot be bought by the rich nor can politicians jump the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It is very encouraging for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is hope on the horizon but there is still much need for patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good news for that lady and the rest of the world too.
    Your last photo is beautiful...peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not turned my TV on since the election. I was considering cancelling my subscription. Then, yesterday, I turned it on to see if it would help me decide. The first thing I saw, was Mrs. Keenan, almost 91-years old, get that first jab of vaccine in her arm. I felt deeply touched, so happy for her and all the other grandmothers my age, who will now be able to hug and kiss their grandchildren again. I'm old and pretty much alone, so I don't mind waiting, but still, I know it will be such a relief when it will be my turn to get that jab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot -- yes, I will keep my TV for the time being. There's good news to be watched, to make you smile, to make you feel better about this world of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sunset photo is this vaccine the beginning of the end, such a lot of sadness for people and human loss, and we have got off so lightly here in Thailand but I can't wait to get to see my family again - what a year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if the Mad occupants of the White House saw this.
    I'm waiting for Dictator Trump to take credit?????

    Hurry up 20th January.
    The Biden team sure looks great.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I was delighted for her and hop we get the vaccine too! That last photo is stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It as indeed a great achievement and has given us all a great lift. For now there is light at the end of the tunnel and real hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree. This isolation wears a person down in ways that never could be expected. There is light and hope!! If I have to wait until May or June - I will do so with a smile on my fact.

    ReplyDelete