Wednesday, June 12, 2013

In the garden


 
 
   My pantry and my sanctuary, my garden feeds more than my body. It feeds my soul as well. 
Come for a walk with me.


   We have had a very late and wet spring, with snow falling just a few weeks ago, but the herb garden is finally showing up.  Behind that is the greens bed -- lettuce, spinach (lots of spinach!), kale, chard, and some annual flowers that will take over when it gets too hot for lettuce and spinach.  Beyond that is a bed of strawberries.  See the tiny white blossoms that will be intensely flavored strawberries in a few weeks? 
   See that jungle beyond the strawberries?  That's rhubarb.  I picked 7 lbs. from one plant Saturday, made sauce, and stored it in the freezer for winter eating.

 
 Tender, sweet lettuce, ready to eat, with a little dill to flavor the salad.
 
Kale that seeded itself from last year, in the potato bed.  Delicious in spring salads and omelets.
 
 
 
Asparagus, the first vegetable on the table for the year!  I'll eat all I want, then freeze some for asparagus soup.
 
The grape arbor, just beginning to leaf out and flower.
 
There's more, but let's leave it for another day.
 
 
Let's sit awhile here in this corner under the apple tree, a spot to quiet the mind, nourish ourselves with some peaceful moments.  There are nests of robins, chickadees, wrens, and chipping sparrows here, and you can smell the lilacs.
 
 

 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do. I feel fortunate to live in such a vibrant city with so much happening. Many places cost nothing to visit and as a pensioner I travel around the city for free. So here's to retirement.

    ReplyDelete