This is where we started 2019 on January 1st, walking our favorite stretch of beach in the early-morning fog. The fog was not all-encompassing; there were clear places and murky places and we moved easily between. It felt like a metaphor for the year ahead: the foggy places the unknowns and tough decisions, the clear places the easy paths and choices, we humans moving through life, negotiating both.
Decisions we are contemplating are big and small. For example:
- New doctors. Just before Christmas we learned that our primary care doctor had suddenly left the practice where we are patients. We haven’t been satisfied with the clinic itself so it seems a good time to do some research and make a change, probably having to drive all the way to Charleston to get into a different system of clinics and necessitating changes in the several specialists we see.
- A car. We have 173,000+ miles on our car, a small Toyota SUV (without a single repair besides routine maintenance!). This year will undoubtedly present the necessity of purchasing another.
- A home-away-from-home, one with wheels. We have been contemplating this for months already. It's time to get serious and make a purchase!
- Travel. Depending on the above two decisions: where we want to visit in the next 12 months. So many choices!
- A word. One to focus my thoughts and guide my life during the year ahead. Some from past years include: Light, Simplicity, Adventure, Move, Gratitude. I have some in mind but haven’t chosen The One yet.
- A Big Project. My book finished, I’m at loose ends. I need a new purpose. One can only knit so many hats (12, for charity, so far)!
Well, those are a few things I’m thinking about these rainy, foggy January days. What about you?