Sunday, April 13, 2014

Baaaaa, Baaaaa!

   Nothing says spring like lambs, and it looks like a bumper crop down the road. 

This flock isn't usually this near the road, so I was excited to see how their tribe has increased since I last saw them.  Nearly every mama has twins at her side.  Mostly white, with a couple blackies and spotties toward the back, they must have been born in our very frigid February to be this big already.


The young guy on the left is my favorite, a spotted brown and white. I'm guessing his daddy was a Jacob sheep.  What fun it would be to spin his fleece and knit it up. 
There is an interesting story about how Jacob sheep got their name.  In the Bible, in Genesis it says that Isaac's son Jacob, a shepherd tending his father-in-law Laban's flock to pay a debt for his wife, took the spotted sheep from the flock and bred them.  From Bible times, the breed spread through Syria, across North Africa to Spain and on to England. 
 
Thanks for reading my blog. 

21 comments:

  1. My goodness, twins! How wonderful, twice the flock!
    Sheep always here seem to find a puddle or creek to have their lambs in and always needed rescuing when I lived on a farm with my husband for the first 8 years of our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flocks are out everywhere all over the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sheep especially in England the look like American ones. At my place you there aren't any only cities. The are very popular in the mountains here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I though the same as you did . . . spinning and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see the lambs frolicking in the the fields at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen a brown and white spotted sheep. Looks like it's getting green there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and pics of the lambs for OWT ~ Happy Week to you ~ xoxo

    artmusedog and carol (A CreativeHarbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. Thanks for the little sheep lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like to see photos of livestock! The grass is greener down there than here! I saw some S today:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos. They bring back memories from my childhood when we lived in a sheep-rearing area. Very interesting story about the Jacob sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...a bumper 'crop' indeed!!! My goodness, that's a lotta lamb chops.

    And....love the yellow crocus blossom in the previous post too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to see sheep grazing ! Looks so peaceful !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lambs always mean spring to me. You mentioned in your profile that you are from the Upper Midwest. May I ask where and also where you taught?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Minnesota. I taught in schools in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Carolina, three years elementary and the rest as a high school language arts teacher, specializing in British Lit and writing. How about you?

      Delete
    2. Happy Easter! I live in St. Paul, MN and taught in the English dept for 28 years at St. Paul Academy-Summit School. Retired in 2003 but still retain relationship with former school and colleagues.

      Delete
  15. Oh yes I remember that....the story of how they got their name. Now, where I remember it from I do not know but while I'd read about it, this is the first time I've actually seen this sheep. Interesting! :) No wonder he's your favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. our boys used to love going up to our familie's farm during lambing season. It is fun to see those little lambs bouncing around the paddock with their tails flicking. Have a lovely week and thank you for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pictures, I've finally managed to get you added to blogger! it's taken ages for some reason xxxx

    ReplyDelete