Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Upper Mississippi -- Open For Business

   Lake Pepin (really just a wide spot in the Mississippi River) had a record 29 inches of ice this winter.  By April 18th it had finally melted enough that the first barge could make its way north to St. Paul with a load of cottonseed and fertilizer. The tow boat, the Angela K, had to break through 12-16 inches of ice remaining.  It was the latest opening of the river since 1970.


   It's just one of the important signs of spring up here.  The first robin, Twins baseball opener, the garden center going up in the grocery store parking lot.  Next thing you know, it will be fishing opener!

Thanks for visiting my blog.  I love to read your comments and visit your blog in return. 

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! how much ice, at least spring has finally arrived for you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when the upper Mississippi[[I is open for business! I like to watch the barge activity from the levee. I know where lock and dam #2 is. Where you looking for the pelicans there? Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, maybe I should run a business it is a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot imagine how cold it must have been to create that much ice. Enjoy the Spring - you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh! What a winter this has been, everywhere! Glad spring is finally making it's way to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pleased to read the lake is back to normal. Can't imagine how cold it must have been for all that ice to form...enjoy your spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading over the winter about this...glad it's fine now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a long winter this year. I can't imagine what those kind of winters must be like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of the lakes still have ice up here, many of the smaller potholes are free of ice, but many froze out over the winter. I am so ready for spring:)

    ReplyDelete