Monday, August 10, 2015

Flowers That Fly

That's what butterflies remind me of -- flowers that fly.

Yesterday we visited the beautiful butterfly house at Honey Horn Coastal Museum.

 

 

I was able to take a lot of photos because we were pretty much the only ones there.

 

Zebra Longwing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Giant Swallowtail

You might recall the Orange Dog caterpillar that defoliated our lime tree a few weeks ago (below). Well, this beauty with a 5 inch wingspan is the eventual result!


There is nothing in a caterpillar

that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.

Buckminster Fuller

Orange Dog caterpillar of the Giant Swallowtail butterfly

 

 

 

 

Black Swallowtail

Much smaller than his giant cousin

 

 

 

 

 

 

Black Swallowtail

 

 

 

 

 

Black Swallowtail

 

 

 

Monarch emerging

 

 

 

 

 

Not a Butterfly,

a brightly-colored

Metallic Green Bee

 

 

 

 

Happiness is like a butterfly which when pursued is just beyond your grasp

but if you sit down quietly may alight on you.

Unknown

 

19 comments:

  1. Fascinating is the cycle of the butterfly. Delicate creatures..
    A song comes to mind....Love is like a butterfly, soft and gentle as a sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos remind me to check out the butterfly tent again at Como Park before the summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over at Living Legacy Gardens near Staples MNthey have a butterfly house but sadly it was empty this year. What a fun afternoon for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping to see a Monarch and I wasn't disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely the black one is my favourite. I think we don't have it in Europe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did capture some great photos, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This wonderful post is like a moist Summer stroll in woods!











    ( '>
    /))
    //""
    ALOHA
    ComfortSpiral

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a butterfly place in our vicinity, and I've never been! Gotta get there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love butterfly sanctuaries. We have one in Houston I've visited often. Never get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all butterflies. That Giant Swallowtail is amazing! I love the view through the window the Giant Swallowtail is on too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos of the butterflies, we don't see so much different ones here .And my cat is hunting (and eating) the few I see in the garden.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food unit has been one of the most interesting, I did it early and wanted to do the last one, but it won't let me. We're off to England so I can't finish it before we go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flowers that fly..... I love it. We went to a similar place in the Denver area a few years ago. Unfortunately my camera failed that day. You did good....:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos. People must keep in mind when they want to mash a caterpillar, it may turn into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy Butterfly pavilions and so do my Grands.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks. There are frogs in every picture, maybe just the eyes, but they're there. This is one of two water gardens I have.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky you for being there almost alone with caterpillars and butterflies. You've got really beautiful pictures and I also like the quotes you've added.

    ReplyDelete